Things That Gave Us Life "manuela maria mexico" Edition
Words: mater mea
Our weekly roundup of the best things that happened online and IRL.
Erykah Badu is a woman of many talents, and perhaps just as many names: Fat Belly Bella, Medulla Oblongata, and Lowdown Loretta Brown are just a few of the singer's aliases. But manuela maria mexico may be our favorite one. That's the alliterative name Badu uses on her hilarious Vine account where she documents her life as a mom of three in all its beauty and hilariousness. From her daughters dancing in the rain and braiding hair, to her smile-grimacing as her son practices guitar and just plain grimacing through a rendition of Frozen's "Let It Go," Badu's Vine account gives a very sweet look into a fun artistic family.
(h/t My Brown Baby)
There are no words for these two stylish little men. We've tried, and everything just fell short. Twins "M and D," better known by their Instagram handle 2yungkings, are just the most fashionable kids we've ever seen. These two have the outfit of the day game on lock, thanks to their nonchalant poses (they've nailed the "crossed ankle while looking off into the distance" pose) , Raybans, and miniaturized interpretations of prep-school cool.
(h/t HuffPost Style)
We're huge fans of director Gina Prince-Bythewood (Love and Basketball). And this trailer for her newest movie, Beyond the Lights, does not disappoint. This story of a singer at the cusp of pop superstardom addresses all sorts of identity and authenticity issues in a way that seems so honest, we could hardly believe what we were seeing. Just watch the trailer to see what we're talking about.
- This Michael Brown protest during a St. Louis Symphony performance is brilliant for bringing the discussion around the unarmed teenager's death to a place where people couldn't ignore it the way they might dismiss a news story or social media update.
- Our play bestie comedian Jessica Williams is killing it on The Daily Show. Her latest segment takes on street harassment. Each laugh Williams gets is also accompanied with the sick feeling of how pervasive this form of sexual harassment is.
- We always look to Andrea Pippins of Fly to put us on some incredible fashion, home goods, or music finds. This week she didn't disappoint: We are now pretty into Sew a Song, a line of strong, graphic jewelry made of onyx, obsidian, wood, and brass.
- The trailer for Issa Rae's first book, The Misadventures of Awkward Black Girl, brought us classic Rae. So excited for her latest accomplishment, and can't wait to snag a copy come February 10, 2015.
- Blogalicious, a network that supports and celebrates digital diversity, is holding a conference November 6-8 in San Antonio, Texas. The two-day event will be packed with informative conversations and panels on blogging professionally. Blogalicious' team would like to extend a 20% discount to anyone in the mater mea community who would be interested. Just use the code b6sister when you register!